Sunday 17 August 2008

Patricia Briggs - Iron Kissed

Book 3 - Mercy Thompson Series
978-0441015665

Although this book has been out since the begining of the year I really wanted to review it here as it is one of my all time favourite books, and my all time favourite series.

I am not someone who can read a book twice, at least not very often, but this book has been the exception to that rule; and I even plan to read it and its sister books again when the fourth book in the series comes out next year (Bone Crossed Feb 2009)

So what is it about this book that I like? Where to start? Ok first off let me say that although there is a love triangle in this story this isn't a paranormal romance, I would say it falls more into the 'Urban Fantasy' realm of paranormal books.

The series is about a female mechanic called Mercy Thompson who is a Native American Coyote Walker...bit like a shapeshifter only different. She was raised by a werewolf pack in Montana when her mother discovered what she was as an infant, and felt unable to cope with her unusual daughter. Although she was raised by a caring foster family and accepted to a degree you always get the feeling she was on the outside looking in. But thats ok with Mercy, cos she knows who she is, even though she hasn't got a clue what a Walker really is.

Throughout the series Mercy interacts with many of the 'others' who inhabit this world, the fae, the vampires, the ghosts and of course the werewolves. In fact Adam, the Alpha of the local Tri Cities pack, has declared her his mate, but that doesn't mean Mercy is going along with it, or that Samuel another alpha werewolf from her childhood isn't going to try to win her back. But this book is so much more than that, its about human interaction even if those humans are other.

This book caused quite a bit of unrest when it came out due to an event that happens near the end.(not going to spoil it for anyone not read it) But I thought it was handled so well, awful things happen to people all the time, and the way Patricia Briggs handled the event itself, but also the aftermath, was in my opinion outstanding. She showed the devestation that Mercy felt and the confusion and pain of those who love her, but she did this by at one point focusing on, and giving a back story to, one of the other characters, allowing Mercy to curl up as a coyote and heal. Every time I read this part of the book I am moved to tears but more than that I am amazed by the skill it took to write it.

If you want to read this book though, I would really recommend reading the other two first, as it will give you a much better understanding of where all the characters are coming from, this isn't a stand alone, it is a true series, each book building on the last one.

If I had to be stranded on a desert island with only one book (Scary idea!!) it would have to be this one. (but I might just try to stick all three books together and say it was an omnibus edition!)

Tazallie

1)Moon Called
2)Blood Bound
3)Iron Kissed
4)Bone Crossed (Feb 2009)

No comments: