Sunday 31 August 2008

Diana Palmer - Heart of Stone

Book 37 in the Long Tall Texans Series

To be truthful I really dont know why I still read this series, or indeed this author. Perhaps its become somewhat of a tradition for me, or perhaps I just keep hoping that there will be a suprise in the story? Whatever it is I still keep coming back to them.

I started reading Diana Palmer and the Long tall texans series donkey's years ago when I was an impressionable teen devouring mills and boons romance novels, at the time Ms Palmer was one of my all time favourite writers, lots of alpha males and sweet virginal women finding love. And the stories are still the same ...sometimes almost identical. There have been a few good books along the way that I really enjoyed but this wasnt one of them, in fact I would have to say that I have read this story quite a few times before from Ms Palmer, and it was boring. Sorry but thats my opinion!

Diana Palmer needs to move on, I still like Alpha males but I like a woman who can tame him, not just submit mindlessly. In this story Boone the ultra rich succesful rancher has been ignoring his sisters best friend Keely for years, to hid the fact that he is in fact attracted to her. Keely in turn has loved Boone for years, but she is a poor abused mouse of a child/woman. Ok need I go on? not really cos this could be any number of the the other Long tall texan books. You know whats going to happen, he's going to be really rotten to her, push her away, protect her, seduce her, then marry her. Oh and dont forget the drug dealers who are after the heroine! (the new constant in these books)

So why do I still keep reading them? I really do think its simply because she was one of my first favourite authors and I am loyal to her, but I really, really do wish just for once her heroine would be in her thirties, with a kick butt attitude who shocks the pants of the big tough alpha male. Oh well maybe the next one will be better!!!! (and you can bet your bottom dollar I will read it!)

Tazallie

No comments: