Thursday 4 September 2008

Jocelyn Drake - Nightwalker

Book One in the Dark Days Series

I found this book purely by accident one slow day at work. I was killing some time flicking through the new delivery of paranormal books, the blurb on this one hadn’t really caught my eye but I was looking to see what books were advertised in the back of the book when the last line of the novel caught my eye.
“And then we’ll kill each other as god intended”

Well with a line like this how could I not read it? Now I am really frustrated because the book has ended and I have to wait for book two to be out!

What I liked about this book was the female lead, Mira. She’s a vampire with an unusual skill that has made her the target of some awful things and creatures, but she’s no victim. Yet there is a vulnerable side to her that is revealed as the book goes on, in fact in a world of dangerous vampires she has retained her humanity. This book is incredibly well written, you get a real sense of the places you visit, you can taste the shadows and feel the fog rolling off the Thames. And the battle scenes keep you gripped to the last. Although you know Ms Drake can’t plan to kill Mira off, you still feel that this really is a fight to the death, and Mira has no fear of it being hers.

This book kept me in its thrall from the first page, each passage revealing just a little more about the Naturi and the Coven, about Mira and Danaus, the vampire hunter who becomes her ally. Yet never revealing enough so that you can guess where the story is going. This series is going on my favourite list.
And all I can say is “please write quickly Ms Drake!”

Tazallie

No comments: